In the past few months, we have been on holidays a couple of times, and I use my Vitamix blender so much I could not really imagine being apart from it during our holidays. When Zyliss asked me to try their portable Easy Pull food processor, I was over the moon as it would make the perfect travel substitute.
It is small, so despite the fact our car was fuller than you could imagine for both trips, we managed to squeeze in the tiny food processor. I used it for all sorts of things, from mashed apples to finely chopped veg for salads to homemade burgers to guacamole.
The recipe I am sharing today is moreish yet guilt-free, versatile and free from egg, wheat, nuts or refined sugar. Oh, and you will only need four ingredients!
This is not the sort of ice cream you would have on a cone. It is a lot more moreish and fudgy than traditional ice cream. My brothers loved it and thought it was more like giant truffles than ice cream.
You can use the recipe below to make scoops of rich chocolate ice cream (or chocolate dessert), bite-sized chocolate truffles or chunks to add to regular chocolate ice cream.
If you chop the ice cream into 1/2cm cubes and sprinkle it over regular chocolate ice cream, it will add a rich and fudgy touch and will be just like Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream.
The children really enjoyed creating the recipe with me and taking part in the whole process.
Although Zyliss clearly state that the Easy Pull must be kept out of the reach of children, I explained to Crevette (7 years 3 months) that it had really sharp blades and put it together myself before I let him do the pulling carefully under supervision.
Beanie (5 years 1 month) was also fully involved in the whole process. She poured, folded, moulded scoops, sprinkled toppings and ate a lot of it!
4-Ingredient Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream
- 8 dates
- 100 g good quality dark chocolate
- 400 g sweet potatoes
- 2 heaped tablespoons cocoa powder
- Optional: desiccated coconut if you can tolerate them, crushed dry-roasted pistachios or almonds
- Soak the dates in cold water for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Boil them for 10-15 minutes, until cooked.
- Drain them and leave them side to cool.
- Stone the dates and blend them in a food processor.
- Chop and melt the dark chocolate in 10 second blasts in the microwave.
- Add the sweet potatoes and blend again.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe dish. Fold in the melted chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Cover and freeze for a couple of hours or until firm.
- Mould into scoops (small for truffles or larger for ice cream) and freeze again for at least four hours.
- Serve with coffee and if you wish, top with desiccated coconut or crushed nuts.
- Alternatively, to turn regular ice cream into Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream, chop into small cubes and sprinkle over chocolate ice cream.
– This is a sponsored post.
– All opinions and photographs are my own.
Leave a Reply