This delicious recipe is my friend Aimee’s. We already have one of our staple meals named after her – Aimee chicken (chicken Korma), and it is my little ones’ favourite dish. Last month, Aimee invited us for dinner again and made this simple Thai-inspired chicken with rice and sweet potatoes. We were all won over, so much so that I have been making it every single week since. Thinking about it, I made it twice this week!
It is a cheap, healthy ‘free from’ meal ready to put in the oven in minutes. That makes it a perfect dinner for our busy family!
I substituted a couple of ingredients from the original recipe, simply because I did not have them at home, so if you would like to follow the original recipe, you could use a yellow onion instead of red onion, and lime instead of a lemon, halve the garlic and curry paste, but it really works very well both ways. Tonight, I had forgotten to restock on fresh ginger so I used the ready chopped ginger in white wine vinegar I always have in the fridge for such emergencies.
I use my blender to get the sauce ready quickly, but you can also do it with a whisk. Simply dissolve the stock pot or cube in a little boiling water before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
We all love this dish at home. It is free from wheat, gluten, egg and nuts so Jumpy can have it. Just check the labels on the stock if you are not making it from scratch, as well as the Thai Red Curry paste you buy if there are food allergies in your family. We use Blue Dragon Thai Red Curry Paste and it works well for us.
It has a kick to it so do not add sauce on the children’s plates. I remove the skin, give them rice and sweet potatoes only. Our four all enjoy it, including 10-month-old Wriggly. None of them has complained that it was too spicy, although they moan about having to eat sweet potatoes, bless them!
Easy Thai-Style Chicken Thighs
- 1 red onion
- 4 sweet potatoes 500g
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 chicken stock cube or stock pot
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 cup basmati rice 2 cups water, pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 5 (190 °C / 375°F).
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and pat it dry with kitchen towel.
- Peel the onion and sweet potatoes. Chop the onion, and cut the sweet potatoes into bite sized cubes (2-3 square cm).
- Put the onion and sweet potatoes in the bottom of a rectangular dish. Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables.
- Blend the garlic, ginger, lemon juice, stock, red curry paste and coconut milk together to form a sauce. Pour over the chicken thighs and place in the oven, uncovered, for an hour.
- After 40 minutes, check on the chicken. If it looks like the chicken is browning too quickly, cover with foil.
- Place a mug full of rice, a pinch of salt and two mugs of cold water in a pan. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to minimum and cover. Cook for twelve minutes.
- Place the rice and cold water in a pan, with a generous pinch of salt. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to minimum and cover. Cook for twelve minutes. Once cooked, fluff the rice with a fork. It should be cooked to perfection.
- The rice and chicken will be ready at the same time. Enjoy!