Home » Uncategorized » Kids' Corner » Pregnancy & Birth » Enjoying the Little Things…

Enjoying the Little Things…

My beautiful baby girl is exactly four weeks old as I am hitting the ‘publish’ button. We have had so many magic moments in the past 28 days that I have not had time to write about them. Life has got in the way and it has been lovely!

Do not get me wrong: my hormones have gone off the roof at times. The house has seemed like a complete dumping ground on a fair few occasions (twice a day usually; all day on bad days). Hubby has gone shopping for milk and wipes to come back with crisps and sausage rolls instead (why oh why?), but mostly, life has been great over the past four weeks.

Here are the things I want to remember most.

Wriggly (4 weeks old)

Wriggly's Little Feet
– I could spend hours staring at my baby, smelling her, feeding her, giving her cuddles, listening to her breathing.
– Her little fingers and toes are delicate and perfectly formed.
– Beanie declared, “Her face is like an apricot!” a few days ago after she touched her sister’s soft skin. She was spot on!
– Every single day, we notice small changes. You forget how fast babies grow up and develop!
– Hearing her snoring or giggling when she is fast asleep makes her sleeping time reassuring (and entertaining!).
– I am really enjoying changing her tiny nappies.
– She is more and more awake during the day. She can spend ages staring at the high contrast black, white and red illustrations on the soft book in her Moses basket. Her favourite illustration seems to be the flower.
– Her first bath was with her siblings and she enjoyed being in water despite Crevette and Beanie’s arguments about lack of space in the bath.
– She has worn a couple of outfits other than vests or white pyjamas recently, and she looked like a little person rather than a tiny baby!
– She feeds really well throughout the day, tends to cluster feed in the evening and sleeps quite well. I try not to look at the time during night feeds. I have to say having a Bednest helps immensely!
– She has put on a whole pound!
– So far, she has been to Crevette and Beanie’s schools, the hospital, the park, the French embassy, Carluccio’s, a couple of cafés, shops and Kensington Olympia for the Allergy Show.
– She has travelled in the pram, a sling, our car, trains, tubes and has been on a bus.
– I think I detected a hint of a smile on Saturday night (or maybe I am trying to conjure one up).
– She has just started reaching for the pictures on her book; she tickles me when I am feeding her and holds on to fingers, much to her siblings’ delight.
– Yesterday, I got the baby gym out after her bath. She was wholly unimpressed and fell asleep after two minutes. At least, she was comfortable!

Jumpy (1 year 8 months)

Crevette Beanie and Jumpy Drawing
– Her vocabulary is expanding and she is starting to string sentences together, like “Where my baby?” when she is not sure where Wriggly is.
– She is also gaining independence. When she needs her nappy changed, she can now go upstairs, get a new nappy and wipes, bring them downstairs and lie down in front of me saying, “poo poo!”
– A couple of Saturdays ago, as hubby and I were chilling in bed with Wriggly, the older three were downstairs having breakfast and Jumpy scattered a whole pack of rice cereal all around the house… do you know what that looks like? Me neither! I let hubby deal with it. It is not like me, but I let go! It took him more than 40 minutes to vacuum it all so it must have been pretty bad!
– She has just started to get interested in scribbling and she is beginning to play with her brother and sister rather than alongside them.

Beanie (3 years 9 months)

Beanie's Drawing
– She is writing her name! One afternoon, she said she wanted to do some drawing and she wrote her own name, just like that! I could not believe it as we had never done any letter recognition exercises and I had no idea she could write letters. They do learn a lot more than we imagine through play in pre-school!
– It is undeniable that Beanie has her own style when she draws. I could recognise her artwork amongst a pile of drawings and her pictures are more and more detailed. The other day, she drew ‘daddy in a storm’, and shortly after she produced ‘a naughty ant with a baby in her tummy’. I was told to label them exactly as she had instructed me.
– Our Beanie is a bit of a cheeky monkey. After about a week saying “flipping” before every noun, she has now swapped it for “oh, burger!” with the occasional “fafa sake!”. That might be a sign we ought to watch our language around the little ones, oh dear!

Crevette (5 years 11 months)

Crevette and the Swimming Cup
– Crevette is really into arts and crafts, reading, drawing and even though he loves a trip to the park, he is not normally the most sporty of us. In the past four weeks, he has really surprised us.
– My lovely beau-papa taught him how to ride his bike with no stabilisers in less than an hour. Now that is an achievement!
– He also won the cup in his swimming class a couple of weeks ago. Despite a few months stalling and crying at the start of every lesson, he now absolutely loves swimming and I have to say his front crawl technique is much (much) better than my own. I am so proud of my little man!
– The quality of his writing is improving, with well punctuated, more creative and detailed sentences. His handwriting is looking more and more confident and his spelling is getting better.

Us

– Hubby has had a day off here and there for paternity leave and it has been brilliant having him around.
– I have been enjoying my time off with my gorgeous four children, taking my time, not rushing (except on the way to school), not trying to achieve too much.
– Our first picnic of the year doubled as our first time out as a family of six.
– I was over the moon to win a £200 Virgin Experience voucher with the Oliver’s Madhouse!
– I am lucky enough to have amazing friends. When I was unwell a couple of weeks ago, hubby turned into the perfect house husband, Loraine looked after Jumpy for a day, Cé came to visit and brought lunch and dinner (wow, a homemade meal that I did not have to make!), Aimee gave me the biggest snack bag I had ever laid my eyes upon (she is my kind of girl!), Jo offered to come to the embassy with me next time I go (because we haven t sorted out that passport yet, aaaargh).

Sweet Treats

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

3 Children and It

74 Comments

1. 10/07/2014 / 9:54 pm

Congratulations! The time passes so quickly. I cannot believe our little man is now 11 months.
    Visiting you from the brilliant blog posts

11/07/2014 / 11:58 pm

It does… let’s enjoy every minute!

• 12/07/2014 / 12:01 am

I wouldn’t miss a moment of it!

12/07/2014 / 12:14 am

Me neither!

2. Amanda Masters
    10/07/2014 / 9:55 pm

I just love this post, so much going on and all of it positive,
    Your children sound wonderful, their self development is impressive, the swimming award and name writing especially.
    But the “fafa sake!” is classic, love it!

11/07/2014 / 11:53 pm

Now you are saying that, I have just realised I only really focused on the positives. Thanks for the compliments about my little ones. Beanie gave us a “oh, faffa!” yesterday. We will have to work on getting rid of that one (and stop laughing) before it turns into something less funny!

3. Caroline (Becoming a SAHM)
    11/07/2014 / 9:27 am

What a lovely post! I can’t believe she is 4 weeks old already! Very glad to hear you are all doing so well! xx #brilliantblogposts

11/07/2014 / 9:42 am

She is! Times just flies. Thanks for your message Caroline.

4. 11/07/2014 / 10:52 am

What a gorgeous sum up. I love that everything in life hasn’t become about new baby’s development, that you see everything happening in all your little ones lives at once and love them so completely. Your children sound so so lovely – of course they do – but I just love these introductions <3

Thanks for linking to the #SHINEbloghop

Thanks for the beautiful support from a fantastic blogger for my first co-host *mwah – I think you're fantastic Mel!

11/07/2014 / 8:48 pm

They really are gorgeous most of the time. They also have their little personalities and I would not want them to be any different (even though it can get noisy… poor neighbours!). It was a pleasure joining in with your first blog hop. Congratulations on having that set up! x

5. 11/07/2014 / 2:12 pm

What a lovely update of everything happening for your family.

It’s a marvel to watch and see how our babies grow so fast! All the things you describe make me wish I could have just one more baby. Yes, our world and our homes get turned upside down but all the beauty and wonder of that baby makes it worthwhile.

Love that snack pack of yours. Awesome!

Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop). It’s a pleasure to “meet” you!

Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

11/07/2014 / 8:54 pm

Thanks Jennifer. Those little things you notice with newborns (and the more subtle changes as they grow up) is what makes me wonder whether I will ever stop being broody and having babies! It was a pleasure being introduced to your blog hop through the wonderful Steph. x

11/07/2014 / 9:26 pm

You have not seen me in the middle of one of those ‘aaaargh’ moments! x

6. SuperBusyMum (@SuperBusyMum)
    12/07/2014 / 7:42 pm

Ok the tiny feet photo? Crushed me with cuteness! Lovely post and gorgeous photos! x

12/07/2014 / 10:19 pm

She is such a bundle of cuteness I cannot stop looking at her and kissing her!

7. Pauline
    13/07/2014 / 9:39 pm

Beautiful picture and lovely post!

15/07/2014 / 11:49 pm

Merci Pauline!

8. 13/07/2014 / 11:17 pm

Mel what a totally lovely round up of whats good with your and yours!! i am so so pleased that you were my winner on the camp it was so nice to see someone I know in there that will enjoy a fantastic experience!

thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments

13/07/2014 / 11:27 pm

Thanks my lovely. I have so much to be grateful for. That certainly is a post I will be reading when things do not seem so bright! xx

9. Sara (@mumturnedmom)
    14/07/2014 / 3:13 pm

This is such a lovely post Mel, so wonderful to remember all these little moments. Skin like an apricot, so perfect x

15/07/2014 / 11:56 pm

Kids come up with the cutest things, don’t they?

10. 14/07/2014 / 5:50 pm

What a beautiful beautiful post! I think of you often and am so sorry I missed your birth announcement. Am about to read back now to catch up x x x x

15/07/2014 / 11:55 pm

Thanks Susanne, and no need to apologise. You have been sick, writing your blog, looking after your three… You are forgiven for not reading my ramblings for a few weeks 🙂