How did September come this quickly? Gosh it was hard leaving France and settling back into a routine again. Our ‘freestyle’ summer was so good in every way…
Wriggly (2 years 3 months)
· You are assertive, confident and oh so cute!
· You are getting more and more adventurous on your big sister’s scooter.
· You are so incredibly graceful. You keep striking cute poses that make you look like a tiny ballerina.
· You love spending time on your dad or your Poppy’s shoulders.
· Until recently, you could stay in a dirty nappy for ages, but you have just started telling me straight after a code brown, “Mummy, change me!”
· On your big sister’s first day at preschool, you gave cuddles to the teachers, took off your coat and quickly disappeared. I found you a few minutes later, playing and not at all impressed about my telling you it was time to go home.
· You love stirring my coffee and licking milk foam off the spoon. You are already the biggest sleep thief I have ever met, so it might not be a good idea to encourage this new habit.
· “Sorry” used to be a difficult word for you to say, but these days, you are just walking around chanting, “Sorry Mummy, sorry Maman!” When it comes to you really having to apologise, it does not come out so naturally though…
· You have a new habit of repeating everything. If I ask you whether you are a funny girl, you generally reply, “No. Mummy funny gul!”
Jumpy (3 years 10 months)
· Your favourite food is pizza. If we let you, you would have it every day.
· You have been desperate to go to ballet lessons for the best part of a year, and your first couple of lessons have made you so happy!
· Your hair is a national treasure. It really is, but oh the screeching (OK, screaming) that comes out of you when I try to brush it is UNbelievable.
· For your birthday next month, you want a day with your Daddy, jumping on slides (good luck with that one!) and going out for pizza.
· Whenever I take you to preschool, you are glued to me and you are really struggling to adapt to your new room. It took months for you to be comfortable in the previous room, and it feels like we are back to square one.
Beanie (5 years 11 months)
· At the end of your second day in Year 1, you declared: “A. decided to stop picking his nose and sucking his thumb. Me too!” Erm, OK.
· You were not a happy bunny at the thought of starting new ballet classes. In fact, I had to drag you out of the house screaming, kicking and crying. You even hid your ballet bag when I was not looking so you had to dance barefoot. As soon as you walked in, you were all smiles and pirouettes. You loved every minute of your class and could not wait for the following Saturday morning. Moody, you? Nah!
Crevette (8 years old 1 month)
· You and I had the best night in London watching Matilda the Musical. We laughed, we cuddled, we made the most of our night out together.I am so glad we went for an evening out for your birthday rather than getting you a present.
· You had your first even lie-in! You woke up at 9.15 a.m. last Saturday, completely disorientated. Bless you!
· At the end of your first day at school, you were determined to do as well as you possibly could. You spent an hour or so researching the topic you had started that day: the structure of the eye. You put together a list of facts and got rather interested in the subject.
· You are struggling to fall asleep before 9 p.m. at the moment.
· The day after we got back from France, we went to London Zoo. The day, organised by our local HomeStart charity, was an absolute blast! Our favourite animals were the penguins and the squirrel monkeys.
· We all had a lovely walk to the library one afternoon, only to realise it was shut for refurbishment. Luckily, there was a free open-air screening of Finding Nemo nearby. After a quick trip to the shops, we had ice lollies, crisps and sweets. Perfect afternoon out!
· We had a fab long weekend in Devon to end a glorious summer. Beach, barbecues, cups of tea with family and friends, walks on the moors and getting close to wild horses… What more could you wish for?
· I burnt my arm as I was closing the oven door one morning and it looks like I might end up with a scar. What an idiot!