Today, let me introduce Allie, a mum-of-four with a love for cheese, thunder, kindness and good food (amongst other things!).
Tell us about you.
Allie: New England girl. Lover of one husband. Proud mama to four boys. I share what brings me joy and spins my world on my blog, ‘Through Her Looking Glass’. Passionate about sharing recipes, I also publish inspirational musings on my blog, inspired by my life and precious family. My youngest son Hudson has Down’s syndrome and helps us all see life through a different lens.
Where do you find inspiration for your recipes?
Where don’t I? Ha. 🙂 The grocery store, cookbooks, a walk to the park, my childhood, a meal at a friend’s house, seasonal fruits and vegetables, my pantry and freezer.
Is there anything you would not touch even if you were given £1,000 to eat it?
Hands down, a cockroach.
Can you give us an anecdote about food?
Frogs’ legs taste like chicken. (That’s what they tell me anyway. I’ve never actually tried them.)
What is your favourite way to share your recipes?
At my dining room table with family and friends. After that, Pinterest.
What recipe did you choose to share today and why?
Blueberry Pound Cake. Because this is the most popular recipe on my blog and blueberries are plentiful and delicious in New Hampshire. Everyone worldwide should put eating one slice of this buttery blueberry pound cake on their bucket list.
Could you share a couple of tips that make your life easier in the kitchen?
I love my garlic press and kitchen shears and use them both nearly every day.
1 thing no one should ever do in the kitchen:
Cry over spilled milk.
Thanks a lot for taking part in Feature my Food Friday, Allie. I feel so fortunate blogging is helping me connect with people all around the world. I could not agree more with you Allie: there is no way I would eat cockroaches either! I also love my garlic press and my three-year-old’s favourite treat is a punnet of blueberries. You have inspired me to try and develop a ‘Free From’ cake recipe that includes the small blue gems.
Fancy seeing your recipe on Feature my Food Fridays? Whether you are a keen baker, a blogger or a reader who would like to see their creation online, I would love to feature you! Just email me and I will send you more details.
Here is Allie’s recipe:
Blueberry Pound Cake by Allie
- 1 pint blueberries washed and drained
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar crystals
- Optional: serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to gas mark xx (xx degrees Celsius / 325 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Toss washed, drained blueberries with ¼ cup flour. Set aside.
- Sift remaining flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Fold dry ingredients into batter until well blended.
- Gently stir in berries.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf tin.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sparkling sugar crystals on top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake is golden brown and tests done.
- Cool cake in tube pan for 10 minutes and carefully turn out onto rack to cool.
- If using frozen blueberries, make sure they are completely thawed and drained first.