When we moved in 10 years ago, the previous owners sold us all their appliances and most of the furniture for a few hundred pounds. It made that move into our first home easy and cheaper than buying everything new. The fridge was an old thing that looked like it was about to die on us. Despite its noise levels, lack of temperature control, rusty bits and freezer that contained more ice than food, it survived. I have no idea how, but it did.
In the past 4 or 5 years, it has gone worse. The drawers started falling apart, until they had to be disposed of, and the ice situation escalated too. Whenever I’d open the freezer door, it wouldn’t close again unless I spent a good 10 minutes beating (quite literally) the ice that had somehow gathered by the door with a wooden rolling pin. It was noisy, annoying and a tad revolting…
That ancient fridge was at least 15 or 20 years old, no doubt about that. When Beko contacted me asking whether I wanted to try out a fridge freezer with the newest technology possible, I could have cried. I have never spent quite that much time looking at appliances. Ever. After hours and hours of research, measuring, checking every tiny feature, size and capacity, fancy features like ice and water dispensers and EverFresh+® technology that keeps fruit and veg fresher for longer, I set my eyes on a large capacity Beko American fridge freezer.
Why I picked Four-door Beko American Fridge Freezer With Multi-zone (model GN1416221Z):
After a good chat with my auntie who has had American fridge freezers for years, I decided to go with this 4-door fridge freezer rather than a more traditional American fridge freezer, for the following reasons:
- Water on tap is nice, but I was told that plumbed fridges could be temperamental. On top of that, we have a water softener so we’d end up drinking soft water. I’d rather use my water filter tap to fill a jug and keep it in the fridge.
- If we got one that wasn’t plumbed to the water mains, I’d have to refill it again and again using our filtered water tap and a jug. It would be much more faff than putting a jug of filtered water in the fridge!
- American Fridge freezers tend to have a fridge and freezer that are both rather narrow, and space in the freezer is restricted due to the ice maker and the water dispenser. Because of the limited width, I would probably struggle to fit in much. I wanted a large freezer so I could batch cook and freeze 2 or 3 dinners at a time to make weeknights less stressful.
- I loved the ice cube making feature in this Beko American Fridge Freezer.
- It looked like it could fit at least 10 days’ worth of shopping for our family of six.
- It had some clever technology called EverFresh+® that would keep fruit and veg fresher for longer.
- I wouldn’t need to defrost the freezer!
- I could use one of the compartments as a fridge or freezer.
- It also promised to contain smells.
- It looked like it was going to be economical.
The men who collected my old fridge and delivered the new one went above and beyond to make everything easy for me. They knew there would be a washing machine and tumble dryer in the way, and they forbade me from lifting a little finger. They took the two appliances out and after checking my new fridge had not been damaged in transit, they proceeded to remove the handles so it would fit through the door. They then got my old fridge on their lorry and my new appliance in the house.
As they were putting the washing machine back in, they realised the drain pipe for my washing machine was too short with the new fridge there. I told them I’d anticipated that and would get a plumber in. They would have none of it and fumbled for tools and pipes in their lorry, and sorted it all out for me! They were in my house for less than 30 minutes and didn’t leave until they knew everything was as it should be. I was highly impressed and gave them a glowing review on Team Know How.
Main Features of the Four Door Beko American Fridge Freezer With Multi-zone:
Now let me tell you a bit more about my new Beko American fridge freezer. It is an absolute beauty and after using it for just over three months, I’m happy to say I love it just as much as I did when it was first delivered. First and foremost, it has a huge capacity (541 litres) and if well organised, you can fit no less than 30 bags of shopping in it!
- 541 litre capacity
- Rated A+ for energy efficiency
- Stylish multi-door design
- Standard width – 90.8cm
- Matt stainless steel finish
- Multi-zone to suit my shopping needs
- EverFresh+® technology that keeps fruit and veg fresher for longer
You can find more details and reviews here.
Here are my favourite features:
- It looks great and little hands don’t leave marks on the matt stainless steal finish unless they’re really grubby. When it happens, all it takes is a bit of window spray and a clean cloth and it’s like new again!
- Its multi door design makes it easy to organise and more energy-efficient and economical than you’d expect for such a large appliance.
- The freezer always remains frost-free (no need to defrost this baby!).
- It comes with an ice ‘maker’ and icebox drawer with a scoop.
- One of the compartment can be used either as a fridge or as a freezer for added flexibility
- The odour filter in the air duct of the fridge compartment prevents build-up of unpleasant odours in the fridge.
- The chiller compartment is perfect for cured meats and cheese. It actually keeps the smelliest of cheese smells contained (and believe me, I bought the stinkiest French cheeses to put the fridge to the test).
- The large door shelves can hold large bottles, water jugs and milk containers comfortably.
- The crispers with EverFresh+® technology
- The touch screen with temperature indicator to quickly activate ‘quick freeze’ or ‘holiday mode’ on the indicator panel.
- An alarm rings when you accidentally leave doors open for 1 minute. As soon as you close the doors or touch anything on the indicator panel, the warning is muted.
- I don’t always find the indicator panel fully responsive. It works, but it can take several attempts.
- The freezer compartment with Multi-zone isn’t freezing for us, but an engineer explained that it was due to the fact the fridge freezer is in my utility room (a small conservatory), where temperatures fluctuate a lot. It wouldn’t happen in a kitchen.
Would I recommend the Four Door Beko American Fridge Freezer With Multi-zone?
Would I ever? Yes, without any hesitation. I absolutely love it and would choose the same one again if I had to pick a new fridge freezer.
Check out our little video:
Are you after a new fridge freezer?
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post but all opinions and photos are my own.