These chocolate muffins are free from nuts, eggs, wheat or gluten and seriously moreish. Even better than that: they are quicker to make than a trip to the shops! I timed our little baking session this morning, and within 30 minutes of taking the ingredients out, we had warm muffins on our cooling rack.
I was not going to bake today. We had a busy day ahead, but when I mentioned baking a quick lemon loaf for Poppy’s upcoming visit (my father-in-law), Jumpy asked, hopeful: “Will we make cake for me?” I could not exactly ignore that, could I?
Jumpy has allergies, but she does not makes a big thing of it. She loves food and knows what she can have. When offered food she is not sure she can have, she always refuses or asks if it is “allowed.”
One thing she loves more than anything else is cake. Chocolate cake, to be precise. We were running out of time this morning so my lovely father-in-law did not get his lemon drizzle cake, and instead we went for chocolate muffins.
I had less than an hour to bake and clean the house so I simplified one of my cake recipes and made the dough in 5 minutes in the blender. I used my trusty Vitamix, but any other blender would do the job.
The girls had so much fun it was worth moving away from what I had planned for the morning. Jumpy took great pride in weighing the ingredients (with my help). We used my friend Vicki’s ‘free from’ flour. The blend is perfect for baking, and not ‘gritty’ like other ‘free from’ blends. I highly recommend it and you can buy it here (I do not have shares in the business, he he! I just love Vicki’s flour).
The beauty of egg-free cake dough is that you can eat as much as you want without risking being sick. My little ladies certainly enjoyed licking the spoon
… and the ice cream scoop.
By the way, trigger ice cream scoops are perfect for scooping dough into cupcake cases. I always use this one as it means I always get the same amount in every cupcake case.
30 minutes after getting started, the cupcakes were cooling down and the first one went to Jumpy, who declared they were “the best cake ever!”
Wriggly had two of the muffins too and the whole batch has now disappeared. I might have had one with my cup of coffee too…
Here is our recipe:
Free From Chocolate Muffins Ready in 30 Minutes (No Nuts, Eggs, Wheat or Gluten)
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 170 ml milk
- 65 g butter left at room temperature for a couple of hours
- 150 g gluten-free plain flour
- 60 g dark brown soft sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 25 g cocoa powder
- ½ ripe avocado
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 (180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Start by chopping the chocolate finely using a blender.
- Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth. Give the dough a stir with a spatula and blend again.
- Scoop the dough into a muffin pan lined with cupcake cases, using an ice cream scoop to get the perfect quantity.
- After 15 to 18 minutes, the muffins should be ready. Simply insert a knife in the middle of a muffin to check it is cooked. These muffins taste a lot better slightly undercooked (fudge-like) than overcooked.
- Leave to cool and enjoy!
If like me you always forget to take butter out of the fridge, simply dice it, place in a microwave-safe bowl and give it a couple of 10-second blasts in the microwave.