Home » Food Corner » Side Dishes & Breads » Wholemeal Bread Recipe: A Healthy Loaf

Wholemeal Bread Recipe: A Healthy Loaf

Healthy Loaf - Ingredients

I have kept this recipe under my sleeve for quite a long time, and since my easy crusty bread recipe has been so popular, I thought I would post the healthier combination of ingredients the lovely Silvina and Sonia came up with after I gave them the original recipe. These two do not need to lose weight but spend their lives on a diet… silly ladies!

What better timing than British Sandwich Week to post this recipe and a couple of ‘tartine’ ideas (open sandwiches)?

If you are not into having too much white flour, then this easy, no kneading, no fuss, no bread machine required recipe should be perfect for you!

Healthy Loaf - Kids Mixing

Crevette (5 years 9 months) and Beanie (3 years 7 months) are always keen to get involved with the measuring of ingredients and they often end up mixing the dough together. It is such a quick one to put together they certainly do not have time to get bored in the process and they can do the whole thing by themselves. Why not get your kids cooking for you?

Healthy Loaf – Dough

This bread is more dense than the white loaf, the dough is not as sticky and does not raise quite as much which is why I would not bake it in my cast iron casserole dish but no panic; it works every time!

Healthy Loaf – Dough Rising

Until a couple of days ago, I had only baked it in a loaf tin, but I thought I would try it in my new Pyrex ‘4 in 1 plus’ dish and it came out looking great!

Healthy Loaf - in Pyrex Dish

If you are watching your weight, I am sure you know what you would like to eat with this bread. In our home, we think it is perfect with strong cheese, soup or as a ‘tartine’.

Healthy Loaf - Cooling

Here are our favourites:

Healthy Loaf – tartine with hummus, parma ham and avocado

Hummus, Parma ham, avocado, salt, pepper

Healthy Loaf – goat's cheese tartine with walnuts & honey

Goats’ cheese, walnuts and Acacia honey

Healthy Loaf

Easy Wholemeal Bread
Prep Time 3 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 cup strong wholemeal bread flour 160g
  • 1 cup wheatgerm 125g
  • 1 cup plain white flour 150 g
  • ½ teaspoon ‘easy bake’ / ‘fast action’ yeast 1g
  • 1 ½ teaspoon salt 10g
  • 1 ½ cup water 350 ml
  • Optional: 1/3 cup walnut pieces 35g

Instructions

1. Mix the dry ingredients in a 2L bowl with a tablespoon.
  2. Add the water and mix for a minute with your spoon.
  3. Cover your bowl with cling film and leave to rise in a warm (not hot) place for 12 to 24 hours.
  4. When you are ready to cook your bread, preheat your oven to gas mark 8 (230 degrees Celsius / 450 degrees Fahrenheit).
  5. Using your hands or a spatula, drop the sticky dough on a heavily floured work surface. If I have people coming over and want to keep my kitchen clean, I use baking paper which I then throw away with the leftover flour.
  6. Shape the dough in a sort of ball and roll it in the flour so it gets covered all around.
  7. Place your loaf tin in the oven to warm for 30 minutes.
  8. After 30 minutes, put a bit of flour in the bottom of your dish so the bread does not stick to it. Make sure the dough is nicely covered in flour all around and drop it in your loaf tin. Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes, then uncover it and bake it for a further 15 minutes.
  9. Transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy!

Recipe Notes

The loaf can be kept in foil for about four days and it tastes delicious toasted.

If you do not want to use white flour at all, you can replace it with a cup of rye flour. The dough will not rise as much and you might have to bake the loaf for 10 extra minutes under the foil.

45 Comments

1. Julie
    14/05/2014 / 7:56 pm

Hi Mel, what a fabulous loaf of bread. A great recipe, that I’ll definitely have to try out. Thanks for sharing. x

• Mel
      Author
      16/05/2014 / 11:16 pm

It really is a nice loaf of bread. Let me know when you try making it, Julie! x

2. wrymummy
    14/05/2014 / 10:41 pm

I’m so ashamed to say I’ve never made my own bread! You’ve totally inspired me, Mel. I LOVE walnut bread and am not keen on white bread except when en France 😉 Good luck with the #BIBs2014 honey! xx #sharewithme

• Mel
      Author
      16/05/2014 / 11:14 pm

Nothing to be ashamed about! I would never have made my own bread if there was any effort or kneading involved. Let me know if you try making this easy peasy bread! x

3. The Free From Fairy
    16/05/2014 / 9:30 pm

Oh how I wish we could have bread!!! There is no easy way to adapt bread recipes to be gluten-free! 😉

• Mel
      Author
      16/05/2014 / 9:52 pm

I know the feeling… sorry! I did manage to make a nice ‘free from’ loaf once but then threw it away after having doubts about the gram flour I had used as egg replacement (turns out I was right – same family as peanuts). We did not even try it even although it looked really nice. I should have, really, but just like I had been so happy I had managed to bake bread for Jumpy, the disappointment at the thought she was not going to be able to try it was all the more disheartening.

4. Jess @ whatjessicabakednext
    17/05/2014 / 3:06 pm

This looks amazing, Mel! I can’t believe I forgot it was British sandwich week! Love the parma ham, hummus and avocado open sandwich- that looks right up my street! 🙂 Hope you’re having a great weekend! xx

• Mel
      Author
      17/05/2014 / 5:21 pm

Hey Jess, go on… make yourself a nice sandwich! Lovely week-end, cheers! x

5. Eileen Teo (@etspeaksfrom)
    18/05/2014 / 8:11 pm

I love homemade bread! They look so yummy!

6. Sophie at Franglaise Cooking
    19/05/2014 / 2:23 pm

Oh incredible! One thing I miss the most about living in the UK after France, is the lack of good bread, so I make my own sourdough bread, but it does get to be a bit samey. This looks so yummy 🙂
    #TastyTuesdays

• Mel
      Author
      19/05/2014 / 11:17 pm

Same for me, I do miss my baguettes from the local bakery. My crusty bread recipe (first post ever!) is the closest I have ever had, and really easy to make, you should give it a go.

• Mel
      Author
      19/05/2014 / 9:05 pm

Thanks! I love the smell of fresh bread and it never loses its appeal.

7. 28/06/2014 / 6:11 pm

This bread looks yummy:) I would love it toasted with that goat cheese! Nice pictures by the way:)

• Mel
      Author
      28/06/2014 / 7:22 pm

It really is lovely bread. Let me know if you give the recipe a go!