Home » Ramblings » Introspection

Introspection

As I was trying to improve my ‘About’ page, I got thinking about myself and events that had marked my life.

When I was born, life was orange and brown.

Newborn Mel

At 7 months, I was already into dressing up.

Never too young to start dessing up

At 8 months, I was a messy eater.

Messy Eater

At 9 months, I started walking.

At 10 months, my ears got pierced.

At 13 months, I had a go at skiing for the first time.

At 15 months, I was a flower girl.

At 18 months, I was potty trained and went on my first camping holiday.

Camping

At 2, I started nursery school.

At 3, my mum and I moved into the house where I grew up.

At 4 I got my first ‘job’ grape-picking and was paid 5 francs per basket.

At 5, I loved pretending I was a teacher.

Teacher

At 6, I had chicken pox.

At 7, I learnt to swim.

At 8, I went on a plane for the first time.

At 9, my brother was born.

At 10, I went on a black slope for the first time.

At 11, I started learning English.

At 12, I discovered Queen. I have loved rock music since then.

At 13, I spent a week in London with my mum.

At 14, I spent a week in an English family near Portsmouth and was puzzled by the food, the shower I could not turn on, the toilet in the bathroom.

At 15, my second brother was born, followed by our baby brother a year later.

At 16, I tried windsurfing. Let’s never speak of that again.

Windsurfing... not my thing

At 17, I was banned from yoga class and went to my first concert.

At 18, I checked my Bac results (A-Levels) on the Minitel. With my driver’s licence in hand, I started working odd shifts in a drugs factory and drove all the way to the Alps in my mum’s Ford Escort.

Alpe

At 19, I moved to Paris to study English and bought my first mobile phone.

At 20, I worked as a nanny after a short-lived career in a greasy fast-food.

At 21, I moved to London after graduating and became a language assistant.

At 22, I studied French as a Foreign Language in Aix-en-Provence.

At 23, PGCE certificate in hand, I became a teacher.

At 24, I went on a 6,000 kilometre road trip around Europe. I realised that chasing thunderstorms, sleeping in the car and taking showers on the beach were not my idea of a holiday. My then boyfriend (now Hubby, would you believe it), loved every minute of it.

At 25, I went to Glastonbury. My dad passed away just before Christmas that year.

Papa

At 26, I got married.

Wedding Day

At 27, I bought my second-hand Mini Cooper. After our niece’s lively fourth birthday party, I declared I was not ready for children just yet. Not long after, I realised I was pregnant with Crevette, and I was over the moon!

At 28, I discovered unconditional love after hours of delirium caused by gas and air.

At 29, I bought my much-loved Canon camera.

At 30, I had the most relaxed, pain-free labour you could imagine when Beanie was born.

At 31, I had a fish pedicure and I would not recommend it.

Fish Pedicure

At 32, I had my first stay in hospital ever when four week old Jumpy had Pneumonia. Strangely enough, that cured my  fear of hospitals.

At 33, I made macarons for the first time.

French Party - The Food - Blue, White, Red Macarons

At 34, I gave birth to my fourth baby on the bathroom floor.

At 35, I made croissants.

Recently, the lovely ReneéLouise and Shannon tagged me for memes, so I thought I would share a few things about myself. I will not tag anyone else, but feel free to do something similar if you feel like it. I loved doing it!

The Reading Residence      Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

76 Comments

1. mummy m's memories
    28/02/2015 / 7:57 am

Wow… you can remember a lot…. I am intrigued why you got banned from yoga though!!

• Mel
      Author
      05/03/2015 / 5:28 pm

My friend and I just thought it was ridiculous and we could not stop laughing. It took me ten years to try yoga again after that. I love it now, and I am mature enough not to laugh, even when other people’s bellies rumble (or worse).

2. 28/02/2015 / 8:28 am

Oh, I loved reading this, Mel! Such a great way to share more about you, and your new ‘About Me’ page is fabulous, too. Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

• Mel
      Author
      04/03/2015 / 12:10 pm

Thanks Jocelyn. You really gave me the motivation to improve my ‘About Me’ page. It just took me months to actually finish it!

3. 28/02/2015 / 9:26 am

I loved every minute of reading this post Mel,even brought tears to my eyes.xx Je t’adore. Xx

• Mel
      Author
      04/03/2015 / 7:39 am

Moi aussi je t’adore ma belle!

4. 28/02/2015 / 10:36 am

What a beautiful post Mel and I love the way you have looked back over so many little moments in your life and think I will have to do the same as it is such a wonderful way of looking back. Your wedding photo is absolutely beautiful and I love the photo of you and your Dad. I also love your comment about when you were born “life was orange and brown” – yes, that was true for me too!

• Mel
      Author
      04/03/2015 / 12:09 pm

We all lived in an orange and brown world at the start of the 80s, didn’t we? I would love to read a similar post about you, my lovely. Can’t wait to see you again next month. x

5. 28/02/2015 / 11:00 am

This is a lovely post. I bet it was great looking back, it made me think about how much I know of my early childhood x #WotW

• Mel
      Author
      06/03/2015 / 11:07 pm

It was really good trying to select only a thing (or two) for each year. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at my old photos, too.

6. 28/02/2015 / 1:06 pm

What a lot of lovely memories. Why thrown out of yoga class though? That seems rather impossible!

• Mel
      Author
      06/03/2015 / 11:07 pm

I was just being very unruly!

7. 28/02/2015 / 1:08 pm

I don’t think I would be able to find that many pics, and scanning them would take hours. Such dedication but I really enjoyed the post. Visiting from #CountryKids

• Mel
      Author
      05/03/2015 / 8:48 pm

I scan a few every time I go to my mum’s. I now have hundreds on my laptop. That’s priceless: I love old photos!

8. 28/02/2015 / 2:50 pm

A lovely look back over your life, great to see the photos, I love that one of you as a teenager and I loved my try at windsurfing too.

9. 28/02/2015 / 5:28 pm

What a brilliant post Mel, made me smile (mostly anyway), lovely idea and thanks for the mention xx

• Mel
      Author
      04/03/2015 / 7:38 am

My pleasure sweetie!

10. 28/02/2015 / 8:03 pm

Oh I really enjoyed finding out more about you – such interesting facts. I’m mighty impressed you went skiing at 13 months! Love the photos too… I would also not recommend a fish pedi. Horrible experience! #CountryKids

• Mel
      Author
      04/03/2015 / 11:54 pm

How did these fish pedicures ever get popular? They are truly awful!