Before I share with you another one of our favourite mid-week dinners, our speedy Gluten-free Vegan Pesto Pasta, let me tell you about an amazing meal I was invited to last week.
Sacla has been my go-to brand for pesto for over a decade, so when they asked me whether I wanted to join them for dinner in Covent Garden, I jumped at the chance to have a nice Italian meal and learn more about my secret weapon, that cupboard essential that saves our mid-week dinners!
What I didn’t realise was how special an evening the lovely people at Sacla’ had put together for us all. As soon as I walked up the stairs at Café Murano, Michelin starred chef Angela Hartnett’s restaurant, I knew I was in for a good night. There were friendly faces everywhere and conversation was flowing as we were enjoying drinks and canapés (mushroom arancini and bruschetta were my favourites).
Before we travelled through Italy with a sumptuous 4-course meal, Clare Blampied, Managing Director at Sacla UK, told us about the brands she represents so passionately, and officially launched Sacla’s #kidslovepesto campaign.
It all started over 75 years ago in Northern Italy, with Second and Piera Ercole. They were determined to share their local vegetables, fruits and herbs with the world. Initially, they focused on vegetable canning and their business gradually evolved and led to the pasta sauce empire we now know and love. The range of Sacla’ products currently includes: Organic Basil Pesto, Artichokes in Lemon & Rosemary Oil, Roasted Red Pepper Pesto, Black Truffle Pesto, Free From Basil Pesto, Fiery Chilli Pesto, Free From Bolognese sauce and many more. Sacla really have something for everyone, no matter their dietary requirements or individual tastes!
Sacla’ has teamed up with celebrity chef Rachel Allen for their ‘Kids Love Pesto’ campaign, which is all about helping families create quick, healthy and tasty dishes that kids will actually eat! Clean plates = happy parents! La Famiglia, Sacla’s new recipe book, is full of delicious dishes that everyone in the family will love and most are ready to serve in just ten minutes!
To celebrate the launch of #kidslovepesto, we really dined in style and had Mozzarella, tomato and basil pesto followed by trofie pasta & Sacla’ Chilli Pesto, whole sea bream, peperonata and Spring greens. Dessert was the most decadent treat I have had in a long time: muscovado tart and raspberries.
Just to add our own little touch to the #kidslovepesto campaign, Crevette is sharing with you one of our favourite mid-week recipes, aka. our speedy gluten-free vegan pesto pasta.
It is creamy, delicious and allergy-friendly. It can also be whipped up in minutes by children!
It is ready in just fifteen minutes and every single time we make this dish, we have clean plates all round!
Speedy Gluten-free Vegan Pesto Pasta
- 500 g gluten free fusilli we use Barilla
- A glug of olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 250 g tenderstem broccoli steamed for 3 min and dropped in ice cold water
- 200 g closed cup mushrooms sliced
- A jar of ‘free from’ sacla basil pesto 190g
- 125 ml dairy free cream we use Oatly organic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water according to packet instructions.
- In the meantime, prep the vegetables, steam the broccoli and warm a large pan over a medium heat. Add in the oil. When it is warm, plop in the chopped onion and soften for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Add in the minced garlic and keep stirring for another minute.
- Add in the pesto and the cream and leave to thicken for a couple of minutes, stirring. Add in the mushrooms and the broccoli.
- Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce. Serve straight away and garnish with basil.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post but all opinions and photos are my own.